The mission of the Association is to provide a non-partisan forum, independent of national governments, for the exchange of information among election officials and experts throughout the region covered by the Association to discuss and act upon ways to promote open and transparent elections with the objective of supporting good governance and democracy.
The Association’s objectives are as follows:
- Promotion of open and transparent elections throughout an exchange of experiences and information relating to election law and procedure, technology, administrative practice, voter education;
- Promotion of the training and further education of election officials and international observers;
- Promotion of the principle of independent and impartial election authorities and administrators;
- Development of professional election officials with high integrity, strong sense of public service, knowledge of electoral practice, and commitment to democratic elections;
- Promotion of the principle of participation in electoral processes by citizens, political contestants, and non-partisan civic organizations; and
- Development of resources for election-related information and research.