Staff development for the EMBs may take a number of basic forms, such as customized short-term informal training, the mentoring of staff by senior EMB or another organization’s officials, and also long-term formal training in the form of courses or academic development programmes. The election administrators must be trained permanently and there is a strong need for graduate or post graduate qualifications in electoral management.
The electoral authorities should establish an institutional structure in order to meet the requirements for instructing the electoral actors and to implement its responsibility in the area. In this respect, the electoral authorities should promote the following attributions in according with their national electoral law:
- · preparing specific instruction programmes in electoral matters for authorities and administrative territorial institutions, as well as for the members of the polling stations. These electoral officials should be introduced in a database.
- · running up programmes regarding the right to vote by special categories of voters (illiterate, disabled persons etc.);
- · enhancing the external relations of the electoral authorities among ACEEEO members (exchanging of information and documentation concerning national electoral systems, national elections, organising of workshops for debating electoral matters) and within international organisations (Council of Europe, OSCE etc.).
- · ensuring budgetary means for:
- ¨ establishing collaboration with academic institutions and civil society in
- order to examine and debate the proposals for improving the electoral
- ¨ printing and spreading of information and instruction materials for
- publicity campaigns undertaken to popularise the electoral system;
- ¨ establishing documentation centres for the representatives of the public
- authorities and civil society;
- ¨ editing and publishing of the updated national electoral legislation;
- ¨ organising conferences, workshops for debating electoral matters
- involving academic institutions, civil society and electoral actors)
- ¨ organising training for political parties stuff in connection with their
- involvement in electoral campaigns
- ¨ organising specific training for police in the purpose of dealing with
- electoral frauds.